Should education 'stretch a person do you think? (What do you mean by 'stretch'?)
I consider ‘stretch’ in terms of education to mean pushing the boundaries of knowledge which a person already possesses. I don’t think that without doing this, it can really be classed as education. To simply recap what a person already knows isn’t teaching them anything new and well established psychological theories support that fitting NEW and previously unknown information into ways of thought is how people learn (Bordieu).
I’m sure most people can recall a time when work has been struggled with and overcome. This leaning is a result of stretching ourselves and struggle; had we found it easy initially it is unlikely we would have been learning anything new. I’ve given an eg you may be able to relate to in this blog of Kayley’s: http://kayleya.blogspot.com/2009/03/w9-task-3-should-education-stretch.html#comments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like the self reference to a comment on another's blog. This is getting quite seriously 'blogonative'!
ReplyDelete